With more and more DJ’s moving from CD and Vinyl formats to software and software-based controllers, popularity is growing for products such as the Numark Mixdeck. This guide walks through the proper set up for the Numark Express with Virtual DJ Pro.
Note: Althought the Mixdeck can be used with your computer to playback audio, only the left and right decks will control the software of your choice. The mixer section does not send MIDI data. This is a design choice that allows the Mixdeck to be versatile in regards to playback source options.
Before you plug in your Mixdeck
Download and install the latest drivers for your Windows or Macintosh computer for the Mixdeck from the DOWNLOADS section of the dedicated Further Technical Support.
Note: The drivers will be packaged in a .zip file. You will need to extract these files before running the setup.
- On Mac, you can just click on the .zip file and it will extract itself.
- On Windows, right-click the file and look for the option that says Extract All and select an easy to access folder. We typically recommend choosing the Desktop.
Once extracted, run the Setup file to install the drivers. This is a crucial step, as the drivers are what enable the Mixdeck to communicate with your computer.
- Connect the Mixdeck to a USB port on your computer. Avoid connecting to a USB hub.
- Power ON the Mixdeck
- On the Mixdeck hardware, prepare the Mixdeck to communicate with your computer by performing the following on both the left and right deck:
- Press the SOURCE button,
- Then use the PARAMETER knob to set the source to USB-MIDI.
- Press the PARAMETER knob (like a button) to confirm your selection.
- Set the two horizontal input selector switches located above the CH1 and CH2 volume sliders on the Mixdeck to the center position: PC.
- Set the two GAIN knobs for CH1 and CH2 located to the left and right of the iPod dock at the top of the mixer to between 12 o’clock and 2 o’clock.
- The MASTER volume knob is located to the right of the iPod dock in the upper-right of the mixer section. Start with this set to a low setting of 9 o’clock.
- Start with the CH1 and CH2 volume sliders set to the thick line located about 3 lines from the highest setting.
First, make sure your powered speakers or PA system are connected to either the BALANCED OUTPUT or MASTER RCA ports on the rear of the Mixdeck.
If you’ll be using headphones for cue-ing up new songs, connect them to the HEADPHONE port on the front of the Mixdeck.
Connect the Mixdeck to the computer. Set the Source button to MIDI PC on both sides.
Open Virtual DJ.
Click on the Gear Icon upper left hand side of the software, or on older versions, the Config menu in the upper right hand corner.
Chose the Mappers tab in the Config menu and choose Mixdeck from the drop-down menu.
Next, click on the Sound Setup tab and adjust the settings as follows:
INPUTS > NONE
OUTPUTS> EXTERNAL MIXER (In the drop down box choose: DECK ONE FRONT OUTPUT/DECK TWO REAR OUTPUT)
- SOUNDCARD > 4.1 CARD (In the drop down box next to sound card you choose: the MIXDECK EXPRESS)
- Finally, click Apply and OK and you are now ready to go!
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own an Akai Pro product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the Akai Pro technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.