The Ion Audio Keystone is an outdoor music system that is super easy to set up and leave up all summer long. It’s powered by a long-lasting internal rechargeable battery, complete with an embedded solar panel that keeps the battery charged. This article will cover how to properly keep your Keystone battery charged and ensure it reaches its maximum lifespan.
- Is the ION Audio Keystone battery powered or solar powered?
- How to get the longest life out of a Lead-Acid battery
- Further Technical Support
The ION Audio Keystone speaker has an internal, lead-acid battery that will provide power to the speaker. The solar panel on the speaker will help keep the battery charged but is not recommended as the sole source for charging the battery. With the proper charging technique, a full charge can last up to 100 hours.
Here are a few tips for keeping your battery happy and charged.
- Before your first use, make sure to charge the battery fully with the included power adaptor. Leaving the speaker to charge overnight should do the trick.
- If the speaker has been out of use for some time, use the power adaptor to charge the battery.
- For the best charge, make sure the speaker is powered off.
- It is perfectly acceptable to keep the speaker connected to the power adaptor. This will not overcharge the battery.
But when can I rely on the solar panel for charging? The charging adapter should be used every so often to completely charge the battery. But once fully charged, the Keystone's solar panel can provide suitable power for typical daily use without the need to connect the charging adaptor. Here are a few tips for using the solar panels:
- Keep the Keystone in an area that will receive at least 3 hours of direct sunlight a day for the best results.
- Charging results will vary depending on the daily number of hours the Keystone is exposed to direct sunlight.*
*Note: To determine if the Solar Panel is providing charge to the battery, press and hold the Bluetooth button on the speaker (not on the remote) for 5 seconds. Once a tone is heard, release the button. If the tone continues to play after release, then the solar panel is providing charge to the battery. If the tone does not continue to play after release, the solar panel is not providing charge to the battery. To optimize solar charge, expose panel to direct sunlight.
Rechargeable lead-acid batteries are the same type used in automobiles. As with your car battery, how you use this battery has a significant impact on its lifespan. For example, if you forget to turn off your car's lights and drain the battery, a jump start may work a few times. But after a few full discharges, even a jump won't help, and the battery will need to be replaced. With proper use and treatment, a lead-acid battery can last for years. Here are some recommendations for getting the longest life from the internal battery.
- Fully charge the battery before and after using it.
- For maximum life, drain the battery 80% once a month.
- Charge the battery completely after each use.
- Avoid completely draining the battery.
- Avoid storing in high temperatures and moist places.
- For long-term storage, periodically recharge the battery.
- If you do not charge the battery for six months, it may not permanently lose capacity and will no longer hold a charge.
- In cold and snowy climates, we recommend placing your batteries in an insulated battery box or enclosure for protection from temperature extremes.
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own an ION product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the experienced ION technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.