With the Alesis VX49 USB/MIDI controller keyboard, you can load up your favorite VST software synthesizers, samplers and drum machines as if you were working on a standalone keyboard workstation. The included VIP software scans your instrument plug-ins, indexes all of their presets, maps out the controls, and allows you to switch sounds and tweak parameters on the fly, without ever touching your mouse. This article walks through how to setup the Alesis VX49 with MPC Essentials and the MPC Software.
- VX49 Hardware Setup
- MPC Software/ MPC Essentials Setup
- Virtual Instruments and Plugins
- Adjusting the MPC Software/ MPC Essentials Plugin Sources
- Further Technical Support
- Connect the VX49 to your computer using a USB cable
Note: VX49 does have driver software in order for the midi controller work with the VIP software. please make sure the driver is installed.
- Press the Main Button and use the data dial to scroll to MPC. Press the PUSH TO ENTER knob.
On the VX49 itself, on page 3 of the GLOBAL menu (SHIFT + BROWSER), set the Clock Source setting to External. This will set the VX49 to wait for MPC Progams MIDI Clock signal and synchronize the timing of the arpeggiator/NoteRepeat.
While in the GLOBAL menu, go to page 1 and change the Transport Format to MCC/MIDI. This will help for the next section about MIDI mappnig controls.
Save the Changes in page 4 of the GLOBAL menu. Now your VX49 is ready to control the MPC Software/ MPC Essentials Software.
- Open MPC Software/Essentials
- Open the Preferences window in MPC Software/MPC Essentials. In the Audio tab, choose your Audio Device Type and Device, which is dependent upon your audio interface.
Select MPC > Preferences
or use the key command shortcut - [Command + comma]
Select Edit > Preferences
or use the key command shortcut - [Control + comma]
- Choose the MIDI tab and add a check to the box next to VX49 USB Port 1in the Active Midi Inputs box as shown in the image below.
- Select the Sync tab from the left side of the window. Under the heading MIDI Machine Control (MMC) click on the boxes next to Receive and Send to add a check mark to each box. Also, to ensure synchronization for functions such as the Noterepeat, choose MIDI Clock from the Send drop-down menu and the VX49 USB Port 1 from the To drop-down menu.
- Press OK at the bottom of the box, and you are now done setting up the software to work with the VX49.
You can obtain the included software for the Alesis VX49 by registering the product on the Alesis website. Here you can create your account, and then register your keyboard to have immediate access to your software downloads. The page will look like the picture shown below.
- Once the authorizer window is opens, you'll see an options allowing you choose to Activate, Try, or Quit. Choose Activate.
- To unlock the full version of your software, enter the Activation Code that was emailed to you from the Upgrade Email Notification Utility.
- You may be required to enter your e-mail and/or create or login to an iLok account. Please follow the on-screen steps as needed.
Note: Your software utilizes PACE/iLok security measures to assist with anti-piracy. While a physical iLok is not necessary to use the plugin, the creation of an iLok account is required for activation.
- Finally, choose to store your new license on your computer or your iLok and the activation is complete.
Note for Windows users only: If you have difficulty locating a plugin in your VST folder within the MPC Essentials software, be sure the MPC Software/MPC Essentials software program is reading plugins from the correct location where your plugin is installed. To do this:
- Open the Preferences menu.
Select MPC > Preferences...
or use the keyboard shortcut - [Command + comma]
Select Edit > Preferences...
or use the keyboard shortcut - [Control + comma]
- Choose the Plugins tab.
- Add a check to the box at the beginning of one of the rows under the heading VST Folders, then click on the browse box at the end of that row to browse to your plugin installation location.
- Click on the drop-down menu to browse and then select the correct location of your plugin. Press Open.
AIR Xpand!2 Default Installation Locations:
32-bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugins\
64-bit: C:\Program Files\vstplugins
(AU): Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Plugins > Components
(VST): Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Plugins > VST
- Click on Scan New and allow the MPC Software/MPC Essentials software to scan all plugins in the selected location and then press OK.
- At the bottom-center of the MPC Software/ MPC Essentials just next to the pads, is a column of options titled SEQUENCE. Within that column, click on the drop-down menu next to TYPE and change it to Plugin.
- A number of alternate options become available just below once Plugin is chosen. Click on the menu bar next to PLUGIN.
- In the window that opens, click on the + (plus) button next to VST to view your available VST plugins. Locate VIP and click on it to highlight it. Choose Select to load VIP into the MPC Software/MPC Essentials software.
Note:You will notice that VIP populates to the menu bars.
- To view the VIP virtual instrument interface, click on the button labelled located next to the PLUGIN row.
Note: If you want to view the Midi Keyboard, Select Tools and click on Show MIDI Keyboard.
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own a Alesis product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the experienced Alesis technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.