With the Alesis VX49 USB/MIDI controller keyboard, you can load up your favorite VST software synthesizers, samplers and drum machines as if you were working on a standalone keyboard workstation. The included VIP software scans your instrument plug-ins, indexes all of their presets, maps out the controls, and allows you to switch sounds and tweak parameters on the fly, without ever touching your mouse. This article walks through how to setup the Alesis VX49 with Ableton Live Lite.
- VX49 Hardware Setup
- Ableton Live Lite Setup
- Virtual Instruments and Plugins
- Adjusting the Ableton Live Lite Plugin Sources
- Further Technical Support
- Connect the VX49 to your computer using a USB cable
Note: VX49 does have driver software in order for the midi controller work with the VIP software. please make sure the driver is installed.
- Press the Main Button and use the data dial to scroll to Ableton Live. Press the PUSH TO ENTER knob.
- On the VX49 itself, on page 3 of the GLOBAL menu (SHIFT + BROWSER), set the Clock Source setting to External. This will set the VX49 to wait for Ableton Live Lite MIDI Clock signal and synchronize the timing of the arpeggiator/NoteRepeat.
- While in the GLOBAL menu, go to page 1 and change the Transport Format to MCC. This will help for the next section about MIDI mappnig controls.
- Save the Changes in page 4 of the GLOBAL menu. Now your VX49 is ready to control Ableton Live Lite.
- Open Ableton Live Lite.
- Choose Live > Preferences (Mac) or Options > Preferences (Windows).
- In the window that opens, select the MIDI/Sync tab.
- Under the MIDI section, for both Input and Output choose Alesis VX49.
- Under the MIDI Ports section, turn Track and RemoteOn for Alesis VX49 Input and Output.
- Check and adjust your latency slider in Preferences under the Audio tab if you notice an echo or lag in the trigger response, then close the menu.
You can obtain the included software for the Alesis VX49 by registering the product on the Alesis website. Here you can create your account, and then register your keyboard to have immediate access to your software downloads. The page will look like the picture shown below.
- Once the authorizer window is opens, you'll see an options allowing you choose to Activate, Try, or Quit. Choose Activate.
- To unlock the full version of your software, enter the Activation Code that was emailed to you from the Upgrade Email Notification Utility.
- You may be required to enter your e-mail and/or create or login to an iLok account. Please follow the on-screen steps as needed.
Note: Your software utilizes PACE/iLok security measures to assist with anti-piracy. While a physical iLok is not necessary to use the plugin, the creation of an iLok account is required for activation.
- Finally, choose to store your new license on your computer or your iLok and the activation is complete.
Note for Windows users only: If you have difficulty locating your plugin in your Plug-Ins category within Ableton Live 9 Lite, be sure Ableton Live 9 Lite is reading plugins from the correct location where your plugin is installed. To do this:
- Open the Preferences menu in Ableton Live 9 Lite
Select Live > Preferences
or use the key command shortcut - [Command + comma]
Select Options > Preferences
or use the key command shortcut - [Control + comma]
- Choose the File Folder tab
- Under the heading Plug-In Sources:, toggle On the button next to Use VST Plug-In Custom Folder. Then choose Browse next to VST Plug-In Custom Folder and browse to the appropriate plugin folder on your computer.
Note: AIR Xpand!2 Default Installation Locations:
32-bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugins
64-bit: C:\Program Files\vstplugins
(AU): Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Plugins > Components
(VST): Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Plugins > VST
- Within the Ableton Live 9 Lite Session View, under the Categories heading, choose Plug-Ins.
- In the right-hand column next to Categories, click-and-drag VIP onto a MIDI track to load the plugin to your Ableton Live 9 Lite session.
- The VIP software virtual instrument interface will now open and you are good to go!
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own a Alesis product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the experienced Alesis technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.