The Alesis VI series is an advanced USB/MIDI keyboard MIDI controller that lets you take command of your music software with a series of pads, knobs, and buttons. This articles walks through how to set up the VI series controller with Ableton Live Lite.
- Ableton Live Lite Setup
- Virtual Instruments and Plugins
- Adjusting the Ableton Live Lite Plugin Sources
- Further Technical Support
- Connect the VI contrller to your computer using a USB cable.
Note: VI controller is class-compliant which means that it will work with any modern Mac or PC without the need to download any software or drivers.
- Open Ableton Live Lite.
- Choose Live > Preferences (Mac) or Options > Preferences (Windows).
- In the window that opens, select the MIDI/Sync tab.
Note: If you have Ableton Live Lite version 9.2 or higher, you will see the Midi setup will automatically be ready for the keyboard (Keys, pads, knob and transport will be set). But if you have Ableton Live Lite version of 9.1 or lower you want to proceed with the following steps:
- For both Input and Output choose Alesis VI controller.
- Turn Track and Remote on for Alesis VI Controller Input. Then Turn Track on the Alesis VI controller Output.
- Check and adjust your latency slider in Preferences under the Audio tab if you notice an echo or lag in the trigger response, then close the menu.
For more information on how to deal with latency, click here.
- Go to your Alesis account, login and select My Product.
- Click on the to download the Xpand!2 software for Mac or Windows (PC).
- Once you have download the file, extract the Xpand!2 Setup compress folder and run the Xpand!2 Setup. exe (Windows) or Xpand!2.pkg (Mac.) If you do not know how to extract a file on your Windows computer, click here to learn.
Before scanning the plugins into Ableton Live Lite, make sure that they are fully authorized and ready to go. The plugins will install a software called the iLok License Manager that will help keep track of your plugins and allow you to move them later on if necessary. Here's a quick and easy way to Authorize your plugins by using the ilok License Manager.
- Open the iLok License Manager. You can find this in your Applications folder on your Mac and under All Programs on Windows.
- In the top left corner, click on Sign-in to sign into your account. If you do not already have one, click on Sign-in and the select Create New Account in the window that appears to create your new account.
- Once you have signed in, click on Licenses > Redeem Activation Code
- In the window that appears, enter the authorization code for Xpand!2. You will find your authorization codes on your Alesis account page, directly above the download links for the plugins. You can copy and paste this if you like. Click, Next once the code has been entered completely.
- In the following window, choose the location where you would like iLok to store your license. For most users, we recommend to store this directly onto your computer. To do so, select the icon that represents your Mac or PC, and click Activate.
- The iLok software will scan the license and will ask you to confirm one last time. Click OK and your license should be fully activated to your computer. Now you will be ready to scan them into Ableton Live Lite.
Note for Windows users only: If you have difficulty locating your plugin in your Plug-Ins category within Ableton Live 9 Lite, be sure Ableton Live 9 Lite is reading plugins from the correct location where your plugin is installed. To do this:
- Open the Preferences menu in Ableton Live 9 Lite
Select Live > Preferences
or use the key command shortcut - [Command + comma]
Select Options > Preferences
or use the key command shortcut - [Control + comma]
Choose the File Folder tab
Under the heading Plug-In Sources:
Toggle On the button next to Use VST Plug-In Custom Folder
Note: AIR Xpand!2 Default Installation Locations:
32-bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugins\
64-bit: C:\Program Files\vstplugins
(AU): Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Plugins > Components
(VST): Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Plugins > VST
Within the Ableton Live 9 Lite Session View, under the Categories heading, choose Plug-Ins.
In the right-hand column next to Categories, click-and-drag Xpand!2 onto a MIDI track to load plugin into your Ableton Live 9 Lite session.
The Xpand!2 virtual instrument interface will now open.
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own a Alesis product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the experienced Alesis technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.