The Alesis VI series keyboard and pad controllers are ultra-compact controllers designed for the traveling musician and the desktop producer. Since everyone creates differently, you may want to change the default velocity curve setting of the VI series' keybed to best suit your playing style. This guide walks through using the VI series editor to change the velocity curve of the keybed.
- Downloading the Editor
- Adjusting the Velocity Curve of the Keys
- Differences Between Velocity Curves
- Further Support
Every VI series keyboard has its own editor for PC and Mac. The editors are available to download on each keyboard's respective product page under the Docs & Downloads section.
Once you've downloaded and installed the editor, open it up and follow the directions below -
- Choose Options > Device Setup
- In the Device Setup window, choose the 2nd VI series port as the INPUT and OUTPUT. Click OK.
- Click on Keybed. The options here allow you to change the channel, transposition, octave, and velocity curve for the keys on the VI series keyboards. It is recommended to change Curve to either 1 or 2.
- Click Main, and then Send Preset to Hardware. This sends the changes you've made in the editor directly to your VI series keyboard and saves them to the hardware.
The velocity curve has been changed! You should notice the difference the next time you perform with the VI series keyboard.
You can choose between 8 different velocity curves for the keybed on the Alesis VI series. While the above section recommends using 1 or 2, we encourage you to experiment to find the best setting for your own playing style. Below is a visual representation of the different curves available for the keybed on the Alesis VI series keyboards. As you can see, curve 1 is a 1:1 ratio of velocity to how hard you press the keys, while curve 8 is a fixed velocity of 127 no matter how hard the keys are pressed.
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own a Alesis product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the Alesis technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.