When connecting your MIDI interface, for example the M-Audio M-Track or Akai MPC series controller, to a computer with a Mac operating system, you may sometimes face communication difficulties if you have previously had a DigiDesign product installed on that computer. This article walks through some common symptoms and how to resolve those connection troubles that may occur.
- Pro Tools freezes when scanning external devices, and the "Unable to locate hardware" error message is displayed.
- MPC Software freezes when MPC is plugged in, but works fine when MPC is disconnected
- MIDI Monitor stalls and is unable to locate any MIDI device connected. The following message sometimes displays:
- Audio MIDI Setup will not show the MIDI devices in the MIDI window, and after delay, the following message will be displayed:
You may encounter these symptoms if you have ever installed a Digidesign interface in the past. It will seem as though the device simply isn't connecting, even after the drivers are properly installed.
In order to resolve this, go to the following locations on your computer, and move any .plugin files the references Digidesign in the file name, such as DigidesignMIDIIODriver.plugin.
Note: We recommend moving these files to the Desktop first to ensure that this process works for you. Once on your Desktop, you can make the decision to keep the files for potential future use or delete them.
- Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers
- Users/*your account*/Library/Audio/MIDI Configurations
After moving or deleting these .plugin files, you should have no trouble connecting your device with Pro Tools. The device will also now also communicate with the Audio MIDI setup and MIDI Monitor applications.
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own a product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the various technical support teams are available to help!
Visit the links below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.
- M-Audio Support Contact
- Akai Professional Support Contact
- Alesis Support Contact
- Numark Support Contact