The ION Audio Solar Stone is the best way to stream music wirelessly from any Bluetooth device and has a powerful on-board amplifier powered by a built-in rechargeable battery. A discreet solar panel on the top helps keep the Solar Stone charged. This article will cover how to properly keep your Solar Stone battery charged and ensure it reaches its maximum lifespan.
- Is the ION Audio Solar Stone battery powered or solar powered?
- How to get the longest life out of a Lead-Acid battery
- Further Technical Support
The ION Audio Solar Stone speaker has an internal, lead-acid battery that will provide power to the speaker. The solar panel on the speaker will help keep the battery charged but is not recommended as the sole source for charging the battery. With the proper charging technique, a full charge can last up to 40 hours.
Here are a few tips for keeping your battery happy and charged.
- Before your first use, make sure to charge the battery fully with the included power adapter. Leaving the speaker to charge overnight should do the trick.
- If the speaker has been out of use for some time, use the power adapter to charge the battery.
- For the best charge, make sure the speaker is powered off.
- It is perfectly acceptable to keep the speaker connected to the power adapter. This will not overcharge the battery.
But when can I rely on the solar panel for charging? The charging adapter should be used every so often to completely charge the battery. But once fully charged, the Solar Stone's solar panel can provide suitable power for typical daily use without the need to connect the charging adapter. Here are a few tips for using the solar panels:
- Keep the Solar Stone in an area that will receive at least 3 hours of direct sunlight a day for the best results.
- Keep the panel clean. Dirty panels cannot absorb the energy as efficiently and will have a significantly reduced performance levels.*
- Charging results will vary depending on the daily number of hours the Solar Stone is exposed to direct sunlight.**
*Note: The main sources of dirt are bird droppings and dust which can be easily removed using either a dry cloth or detergent and warm water.
**Note: To determine if the Solar Panel is providing charge to the battery, press and hold the Bluetooth button on the speaker (not on the remote) for 5 seconds. Once a tone is heard, release the button. If the tone continues to play after release, then the solar panel is providing charge to the battery. If the tone does not continue to play after release, the solar panel is not providing charge to the battery. To optimize solar charge, expose panel to direct sunlight.
Rechargeable lead-acid batteries are the same type used in automobiles. As with your car battery, how you use this battery has a significant impact on its lifespan. For example, if you forget to turn off your car's lights and drain the battery, a jump start may work a few times. But after a few full discharges, even a jump won't help, and the battery will need to be replaced. With proper use and treatment, a lead-acid battery can last for years. Here are some recommendations for getting the longest life from the internal battery.
- Fully charge the battery before and after using it.
- For maximum life, drain the battery 80% once a month.
- Charge the battery completely after each use.
- Avoid completely draining the battery.
- Avoid storing in high temperatures and moist places.
- For long-term storage, periodically recharge the battery.
- If you do not charge the battery for six months, it may not permanently lose capacity and will no longer hold a charge.
- In cold and snowy climates, we recommend placing your batteries in an insulated battery box or enclosure for protection from temperature extremes.
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own an ION product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the experienced ION technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.