With the Alesis VX49 USB/MIDI controller keyboard, you can load up your favorite VST software synthesizers, samplers and drum machines as if you were working on a standalone keyboard workstation. The included VIP software scans your instrument plug-ins, indexes all of their presets, maps out the controls, and allows you to switch sounds and tweak parameters on the fly, without ever touching your mouse. This article walks through how to setup the Alesis VX49 with Bitwig Studio.
- VX49 Hardware Setup
- Bitwig Studio Software Setup
- Virtual Instruments and Plugins
- Adjusting the Bitwig Studio Plugin Sources
- Further Technical Support
- Connect the VX49 to your computer using a USB cable
Note: VX49 does have driver software in order for the midi controller work with the VIP software. please make sure the driver is installed.
- Press the Main Button and use the data dial to scroll to Bitwig Studio. Press the PUSH TO ENTER knob.
On the VX49 itself, on page 3 of the GLOBAL menu (SHIFT + BROWSER), set the Clock Source setting to External. This will set the VX49 to wait for Bitwig Studio MIDI Clock signal and synchronize the timing of the arpeggiator/NoteRepeat.
While in the GLOBAL menu, go to page 1 and change the Transport Format to MCC. This will help for the next section about MIDI mappnig controls.
Save the Changes in page 4 of the GLOBAL menu. Now your VX49 is ready to control Bitwig Studio.
- Open Bitwig Studio
- From the top menu click Options > Preferences.
Click on the Controllers tab.
Select Add Controller Manually > Generic > MIDI Keyboard.
- Set the VX49 USB Port 1 as the MIDI Input.
- Click OK to close the preferences window.
You can obtain the included software for the Alesis VX49 by registering the product on the Alesis website. Here you can create your account, and then register your keyboard to have immediate access to your software downloads. The page will look like the picture shown below.
- Once the authorizer window is opens, you'll see an options allowing you choose to Activate, Try, or Quit. Choose Activate.
- To unlock the full version of your software, enter the Activation Code that was emailed to you from the Upgrade Email Notification Utility.
- You may be required to enter your e-mail and/or create or login to an iLok account. Please follow the on-screen steps as needed.
Note: Your software utilizes PACE/iLok security measures to assist with anti-piracy. While a physical iLok is not necessary to use the plugin, the creation of an iLok account is required for activation.
- Finally, choose to store your new license on your computer or your iLok and the activation is complete.
- First we need to ensure that Bitwig is scanning the correct VST folder where the Arsenal plugin is located. Click the Gear icon on the far top right under Browser - Configuration.
- Next, set the Plug-in Locations to scan the
- Add an Instrument Track by clicking Create > Create Instrument Track. You can also use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+T.
- Select "+" button to add an virtual instrument to the program
- Once you have the Select plugin windows open, select VSTplugins > VIP > VIP or VIP_X64 (depending on the bit version of your Bitwig program)
- The VIP interface will open.
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own a Alesis product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the experienced Alesis technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.