With the Alesis VX49 USB/MIDI controller keyboard, you can load up your favorite VST software synthesizers, samplers and drum machines as if you were working on a standalone keyboard workstation. The included VIP software scans your instrument plug-ins, indexes all of their presets, maps out the controls, and allows you to switch sounds and tweak parameters on the fly, without ever touching your mouse. This article walks through how to setup the Alesis VX49 with FL Studio.
- VX49 Hardware Setup
- FL Studio Setup
- Virtual Instruments and Plugins
- Adjusting the FL Studio Plugin Sources
- Further Technical Support
Connect the VX49 to your computer using a USB cable
Note: VX49 does have driver software in order for the midi controller work with the VIP software. please make sure the driver is installed.
- Press the Main Button and use the data dial to scroll to FL Studio. Press the PUSH TO ENTER knob
- On the VX49 itself, on page 3 of the GLOBAL menu (SHIFT + BROWSER), set the Clock Source setting to External. This will set the VX49 to wait for FL Studio MIDI Clock signal and synchronize the timing of the arpeggiator/NoteRepeat.
- While in the GLOBAL menu, go to page 1 and change the Transport Format to MCC. This will help for the next section about MIDI mappnig controls.
- Save the Changes in page 4 of the GLOBAL menu. Now your VX49 is ready to control FL Studio.
- Open FL Studio.
- From the top menu, choose Options > MIDI Settings.
- In the window that opens, choose the VX49 under Output, choose the VX49 under Input, and click on option Enable as shown in the image below. Also, to ensure synchronization for functions such as the Arpeggiator, click on the box next to Send master sync and ensure Synchronization type: is set to MIDI clock.
- Close the Setting windows.
You can obtain the included software for the Alesis VX49 by registering the product on the Alesis website. Here you can create your account, and then register your keyboard to have immediate access to your software downloads. The page will look like the picture shown below.
- Once the authorizer window is opens, you'll see an options allowing you choose to Activate, Try, or Quit. Choose Activate.
- To unlock the full version of your software, enter the Activation Code that was emailed to you from the Upgrade Email Notification Utility.
- You may be required to enter your e-mail and/or create or login to an iLok account. Please follow the on-screen steps as needed.
Note: Your software utilizes PACE/iLok security measures to assist with anti-piracy. While a physical iLok is not necessary to use the plugin, the creation of an iLok account is required for activation.
- Finally, choose to store your new license on your computer or your iLok and the activation is complete.
If you have difficulty locating a plugin within the FL Studio software, be sure FL Studio is reading plugins from the correct location where your plugins are installed.
Remember, FL Studio does not allow for native use of VST instruments, however FL Studio does have a built-in VST wrapper which allows for the inclusion of third-party VST instruments. Because of the use of this wrapper, VIP can open and be used in FL Studio, however the VX49 controller will not automatically map to the various functions in VIP.
To load VIP in FL Studio and then manually MIDI map various controls on the VX49 controller to VIP, follow the steps suggested belows:
- From the top menu toolbar in FL Studio, choose Options > File Settings.
- In the window that opens, select VST plugins extra search folder.
- Browse to the location of your installed VST plugins and press OK.
VIP Software Default Installation Locations:
32-bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugins\
64-bit: C:\Program Files\vstplugins
(AU): Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Plugins > Components
(VST): Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Plugins > VST
- Close the Settings window.
- Right-click on an instrument button and choose Insert > More...
- In the window that opens, locate VIP and/or VIP_x64 and click on the box just to left of it to add an F to the box and allow FL Studio to use the plugin. If the plugin name is red, that is because it is the first time the plugin has been scanned and added to the FL Studio plugin list. Close the Select generator plugin window.
- Next, right-click on an instrument and choose Insert > VIP or VIP_x64
- A new instrument insert will be created and the VIP software will open.
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own a Alesis product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the experienced Alesis technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.