The Alesis V Mini is a powerful, intuitive, and portable MIDI controller that lets you take full command of your music software. This article walks through how to setup the Alesis V Mini with Ableton Live Lite.
- Ableton Live Lite Setup
- Virtual Instruments and Plugins
- Adjusting the Ableton Live Lite Plugin Sources
- Further Technical Support
- Connect the V Mini to your computer using a USB cable.
Note: V Mini is class-compliant which means that it will work with any modern Mac or PC without the need to download any software or drivers.
- Open Ableton Live Lite.
- Choose Live > Preferences (Mac) or Options > Preferences (Windows).
- In the window that opens, select the MIDI/Sync tab.
- Under the MIDI section, for both Input and Output choose Alesis V Mini.
- Under the MIDI Ports section, turn Track and Remote On for Alesis V Mini Input and Output.
- Check and adjust your latency slider in Preferences under the Audio tab if you notice an echo or lag in the trigger response, then close the menu.
Now the V Mini is ready to use with your Ableton Live Lite software
- Go to your Alesis account, login, and select My Products.
- Click on the appropriate link to download the Xpand!2 software for Mac or Windows (PC).
- Once you have download the file, extract the Xpand!2 Setup folder and run the Xpand!2 Setup. exe (Windows) or Xpand!2.pkg (Mac.) If you do not know how to extract a file on your Windows computer, click here to learn.
Before scanning the plugins into Ableton Live Lite, make sure that they are fully authorized and ready to go. The plugins will install a software called the iLok License Manager that will help keep track of your plugins and allow you to move the authorizations later on if necessary. Here's a quick and easy way to Authorize your plugins by using the ilok License Manager.
- Open the iLok License Manager. You can find this in your Applications folder on your Mac and under All Programs on Windows.
- In the top left corner, click on Sign-in to sign into your account. If you do not already have one, click on Sign-in and the select Create New Account in the window that appears to create your new account.
- Once you have signed in, click on Licenses > Redeem Activation Code.
- In the window that appears, enter the authorization code for Xpand!2. You will find your authorization code in your Alesis user account, directly above the download links for the plugins. You can copy and paste this if you like. Click, Next once the code has been entered completely.
- In the following window, choose the location where you would like iLok to store your license. For most users, we recommend to store this directly onto your computer. To do so, select the icon that represents your Mac or PC, and click Activate.
- The iLok software will scan the license and will ask you to confirm one last time. Click OK and your license should be fully activated to your computer. Now you will be ready to scan them into Ableton Live Lite.
Note for Windows users only: If you have difficulty locating your plugin in your Plug-Ins category within Ableton Live 9 Lite, be sure Ableton Live 9 Lite is reading plugins from the correct location where your plugin is installed. To do this:
- Open the Preferences menu in Ableton Live 9 Lite
Select Live > Preferences
or use the key command shortcut - [Command + comma]
Select Options > Preferences
or use the key command shortcut - [Control + comma]
Choose the File Folder tab
Under the heading Plug-In Sources:, toggle On the button next to Use VST Plug-In Custom Folder. Then choose Browse next to VST Plug-In Custom Folder and browse to the appropriate plugin folder on your computer.
Note: AIR Xpand!2 Default Installation Locations:
32-bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugins\
64-bit: C:\Program Files\vstplugins
(AU): Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Plugins > Components
(VST): Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Plugins > VST
Within the Ableton Live 9 Lite Session View, under the Categories heading, choose Plug-Ins.
In the right-hand column next to Categories, click-and-drag Xpand!2 onto a MIDI track to load the plugin to your Ableton Live 9 Lite session.
The Xpand!2 virtual instrument interface will now open and you are good to go!
Enjoy using your V Mini with Ableton Live Lite!
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own a Alesis product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the experienced Alesis technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.