The MPD and MPK series controllers are extremely versatile USB MIDI controllers. Whether you are looking for an all in one production setup with keys and pads, or a more beat-oriented workflow, the MPD and MPK controller series gives you a ton of creative potential in a single piece of hardware. This guide covers how to set up the MPD and MPK controller for use with Ableton Live 9 Lite.
- MPD and MPK Series Hardware Setup
- Ableton Live 9 Lite Software Setup
- Additional Guides and Resources
- Further Technical Support
- First, connect the Akai MPD or MPK series controller to an available USB port on your computer using the supplied (or alternate functional) USB cable and power the controller on.
- Press the PRESET button and use the data dial to scroll to Preset: 1 LiveLite. Press the PUSH TO ENTER knob.
- Press the GLOBAL button to enter the Global settings menu. Press the right arrow key until the display reads MIDI CLK. Use the rotary knob to select External.
- Hit the right arrow key until the display reads Globals. Press the PUSH TO ENTER knob to save the settings.
- Press the PRESET button to return to the LiveLite preset screen.
- First, connect the Akai MPD or MPK series controller to an available USB port on your computer using the supplied cable, and launch Ableton Live 9 Lite.
- Next, open the Ableton Live 9 Lite Preferences window. Choose your Audio Device in the Audio tab. This will be dependent upon the audio interface that you are using.
Select Live > Preferences
or use the key command shortcut - [Command + comma]
Select Options > Preferences
or use the key command shortcut - [Control + comma]
- Select the MIDI / Sync tab from the left side of the window. Within the MIDI Ports section, adjust the settings as suggested below:
Next to Input: MPK49, toggle On the button in the Track, Sync and Remote columns as shown in the image below.
Next to Output: MPK49, toggle On the button in the Track,Sync and Remote columns as shown in the image below.
- Next, at the top of the window under Control Surface, choose MPK49 from the drop-down list in row 1. Also, choose MPK49 from the Input and Output drop-down menus in row 1.
- Akai MPK Controllers - Frequently Asked Questions
- Akai MPD Series - Using the Vyzex Preset Editor
- Akai MPK Series - Assigning Independent Tracks to Pads and Keys Simultaneously
- Akai MPK and MPD Series - Setup in FL Studio
- Akai MPK and MPD Series - Setup with Logic Pro X
- Akai MPK and MPD Series - Syncing with Pro Tools
- Akai MPK and MPD Series - Setup in Cubase
- Akai MPK and MPD Series - Setup with Studio One 2
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own an Akai Pro product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the Akai Pro technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.